Vinyl Sales Top CDs For The First Time Since 1986
In early September, a report from the recording industry has concluded that vinyl sales have outsold CDs for the first time since 1986. The report comes after physical copies of music have been greatly out favored by digital formats, but the small revival of vinyl records has brought that area back to the forefront.
According to a new report from The Recording Industry Association of America, vinyl records accounted for $232.1 million of music sales in the first six months of 2020, whereas CDs have only brought in $129.9 million.
Physical sales dropped by more than 23 percent this year, primarily caused by the pandemic, with CD sales dropping by 48 percent. Still, Vinyl records saw a small bump in sales compared to previous years, which is a demonstration of the music community’s support for vinyl records right now.
Meanwhile, the music industry saw a 5.6 percent increase in profit totaling $5.7 billion throughout the first half of 2020. Despite the increase in vinyl record sales, streaming made up for 85 percent of the music industry’s profit, highlighting the massive shift from physical copies to streaming in recent years.
With the ongoing pandemic and the music industry hitting a massive halt since March in the United States, be sure to continually support the artists you love and the local record stores in your neighborhood. The music scene is built by the community that supports it, regardless of how much control massive labels have over artists.
'Rolling Stone' Releases Updated 500 Greatest Albums of All Time ListSeptember 25, 2020
Live Music Recommendations #22 – Black Sabbath – Live in Paris 1970 September 25, 2020
Most Viewed Posts
- Anthony Fantano’s List of the 55 Best Rappers of All Time (19,820)
- 25 Best Ambient Albums of All Time According to Reddit (6,056)
- Comparing Mixes: The Steve Albini Mix Of Nirvana’s All Apologies (5,033)
- Miles Davis Meets Thelonious Monk | Essential Jazz (4,675)
- Essential Music Review YouTube Channels (3,853)
- GREAT Turntables 2023 – Best Record Player for Beginners May 1, 2023
- Thom Yorke – After the Gold Rush March 1, 2023
- Best Albums Of 2023 So Far – February 2023 February 5, 2023
- The Joy Of Receiving Music Recommendations January 24, 2023
- Songs On Repeat January 16, 2023