The Disturbing Viewing Of Come and See
I’m still not over my first experience viewing the 1985 anti-war film Come and See from Soviet filmmaker Elem Klimov. It was a life-changing experience with a sense of brutal realism yet deeply profound surrealism that’ll make anyone despise even the thought of conflict or war.
Starring Aleksei Kravchenko and Olga Mironova, Come and See was written by Klimov and Ales Adamovich, and is based on the 1978 book I Am from the Fiery Village, of which Adamovich was a co-author.
The film focuses on the Nazi German occupation of Belarus, and the events as witnessed by a young Belarusian partisan teenager named Flyora (Aleksei Kravchenko). As a character, Flyora is a cross between youth and the raging actuality of war, highlighting a contrast that we typically don’t see in war films.
American war films have an odd romanticization of war, not showing that, to put it simply, war is hell. Nevertheless, against his mother’s wishes, Flyora joins the Belarusian resistance movement, experiencing the Nazi atrocities and human suffering inflicted upon the Eastern European villages’ populace.
The film’s combination of hyper-realism, surrealism, and philosophical existentialism with poetical, psychological, political, and apocalyptic themes make it one of the best films I’ve ever seen. Though I won’t be rushing back to it due to its overwhelmingly depressing nature, it is certainly a required viewing.
I’m 24 from Buffalo, NY, and graduated from SUNY Buffalo State in 2020 with a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. I play guitar in SPACED and Funeral Coat.
I write for
I’m 24 from Buffalo, NY, and graduated from SUNY Buffalo State in 2020 with a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. I play guitar in SPACED and Funeral Coat. I write for OutOfShapeMusic (Owner) SadCarrotNews (Owner) Fiverr Freelance OnlinePhotographyTraining BestInPhotography The Golden Script Competition The Monthly Film Festival
School of Hard Bops Vol. 3 - Vinyl Jazz Mix April 18, 2022
Most Viewed Posts
- Anthony Fantano’s List of the 55 Best Rappers of All Time (16,808)
- 25 Best Ambient Albums of All Time According to Reddit (4,895)
- Miles Davis Meets Thelonious Monk | Essential Jazz (4,058)
- Comparing Mixes: The Steve Albini Mix Of Nirvana’s All Apologies (3,826)
- Essential Music Review YouTube Channels (3,440)
- Thom Yorke – After the Gold Rush March 1, 2023
- Best Albums Of 2023 So Far – February 2023 February 5, 2023
- The Joy Of Receiving Music Recommendations January 24, 2023
- Songs On Repeat January 16, 2023
- Logging Movies – What I’ve Watched So Far This Year January 9, 2023