Guest Mix: Jazz Records from Japan with Tony Higgins | My Analog Journal
Nothing is better than a hot summer day and a great music compilation from My Analog Journal. This video features jazz records from Japan with Tony Higgins. I’m partially jealous I didn’t think of a channel like My Analog Journal a few years back, but oh well. At least it exists for me to enjoy it every day. Regardless, check it out!
About Tony Higgins:
Tony has a background in music/artist/ management, music press, and promotion including working with DJ/radio presenter Gilles Peterson for several years, issuing two landmark jazz compilations with him, Impressed vols 1 & 2, that explored classic and rare British jazz from the 60s and 70s. Tony also worked with bands like United Future Organisation, and Koop, featuring Yukimi Nagano, who is now in Little Dragon.
Tony has also worked in TV, on several important BBC documentaries including ‘Jazz Britannia’, a history of British jazz, and ‘Seven Ages of Rock’, a seven-part history of rock music from the 1960s – 2010. Tony has interviewed artists like Pink Floyd, John Lydon, Roger Daltrey, Lou Reed, Metallica, and many others. He produced a live concert film in Los Angeles with multi-Grammy-winning legend Emmylou Harris and is a consultant to several specialist record labels, providing sleeve notes and advising on deep archive reissues.
Since 2018, Tony has, together with his co-compiler friend Mike Peden, worked closely with UK disco/jazz//funk label BBE on ‘J Jazz’, an acclaimed compilation and album reissue series of Japanese jazz rarities from the 70s and 80s. Together, they have issued 3 compilations and 9 reissue albums. All have sold well around the world. In July, Tony’s most recent compilation ‘Journeys in Modern Jazz: Britain’ was released on Decca/Universal.
This mix is taken from original vinyl albums, most of which have never been reissued.
Microcosm – Masabumi Kikuchi Sextet with Sadao Watanabe Quartet
The Lupus – Kohsuke Ichihara
Core – Miro Takebi Trio
Toh – Fumio Itabashi Trio
Berimbau – The Farah Quintet
Up Against – Yoshi Kuniyasu Quartet
Bull Trout – Akira Miyazawa
Most Viewed Posts
- Anthony Fantano’s List of the 55 Best Rappers of All Time (20,391)
- 25 Best Ambient Albums of All Time According to Reddit (6,353)
- Comparing Mixes: The Steve Albini Mix Of Nirvana’s All Apologies (5,311)
- Miles Davis Meets Thelonious Monk | Essential Jazz (4,824)
- Essential Music Review YouTube Channels (4,011)
- GREAT Turntables 2023 – Best Record Player for Beginners May 1, 2023
- Thom Yorke – After the Gold Rush March 1, 2023
- Best Albums Of 2023 So Far – February 2023 February 5, 2023
- The Joy Of Receiving Music Recommendations January 24, 2023
- Songs On Repeat January 16, 2023