A Band Called Death – Before There Was Punk
Usually, when people look to the founders of punk, most people cite Sex Pistols, The Ramones, or Bad Brains as being some of the first bands in punk. Although all of these groups were certainly pioneers of the genre and remarkable acts in and of themselves, a band called Death (not the 1980s metal group) existed several years prior to any of these phenomenal groups.
The proto-punk band first formed in 1971 in Detroit, Michigan by three brothers who formed the band in their spare bedroom. The group began playing a few local gigs and even pressed a single with the ultimate dream of getting signed. Unfortunately, these dreams were during the era of Motown and emerging disco, making it impossible for them to gain any sort of traction. Above is an excellent documentary discussing the group’s history, it’s a must-watch. Check it out!
The Radiohead EffectFebruary 13, 2021
Most Viewed Posts
- Guest Mix: Psychedelic Cumbia with Krishna Villar | My Analog Journal March 2, 2021
- The Rise of Slowthai | Volksgeist March 1, 2021
- Live Music Recommendations #46 – Gleemer on Audiotree Live (Full Session) February 28, 2021
- Japanese Indie Rock While Running a Marathon February 27, 2021
- The Genius of Sunny Day Real Estate February 26, 2021