Sonic Youth Celebrates the 25th Anniversary of ‘Washing Machine’
Iconic noise-rock and alternative rock pioneers Sonic Youth have recently celebrated the 25th anniversary of their 9th record Washing Machine. Since it’s release in 1995, Washing Machine remains one of the group’s most ambitious work, taking a deeper dive into the experimental realm the group had previously done in their career.
To celebrate the anniversary, the group had a streaming event of their April 7, 1996 appearance on German music series Rockpalast, which was taped in the middle of their European Washing Machine tour. The stream occurred on September 26 and can be found below, if you’re interested in watching the entire performance.
Commenting on the anniversary and performance, the group wrote: “The band was well-oiled having just come off the Australian/S.E. Asian ‘Summersault’ tour with Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, and Beck…and were enjoying Spring in Europe. In addition to hits like ‘Teenage Riot,’ ‘Bull In the Heather,’ and ‘Sugar Kane,’ the set also includes 4 tracks off of ‘Washing Machine’ including an epic set-closing ‘Diamond Sea’ (that was a highlight of all shows on the “Washing Machine” tour).”
Most Viewed Posts
- The 25th Anniversary of Smashing Pumpkin’s ‘Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness’ October 25, 2020
- Sound Field On How to Get a 10 From The Needle Drop October 24, 2020
- Live Music Recommendations #29 – American Football: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert October 23, 2020
- BROCKHAMPTON On ‘GINGER,’ Shia LaBeouf and What Inspired “DEARLY DEPARTED” October 22, 2020
- 5 Of The Best Experimental Jazz Albums October 21, 2020