Live Music Recommendations #15 – Sonic Youth – Live at Campo Pequeno Lisboa 1993
Yet another live music recommendation is upon us, which always seems to brighten up my day. As mundane or tedious each day seems, at least we have music to cheer us up. Although that statement is a bit of cheese-fest, does it matter all that much?
I can go on forever, but who cares at this point. Nevertheless, this concert features a performance from noise-rock and experimental-rock pioneers Sonic Youth. Sonic Youth is one of my top ten favorite bands and their live performances always struck me with a perfect combination of rawness and technicality.
Any band deep into the experimental and noise-rock scene has to achieve a certain level of technicality. What makes Sonic Youth even more attractive is their deep connection to their punk roots, which gives them a raw sound most noise-rock bands can’t reach.
This 1993 performance is the group’s first performance in Portugal and was recorded live at Campo Pequeno Lisbon, Portugal July 14, 1993. It was filmed by Zé F. Pinheiro, and mixed/mastered by João Paulo Feliciano and Rafael Toral. The group is on-point with a setlist that features a lot of tracks from their seventh studio album, Dirty.
Be sure to take a deep dive into Sonic Youth’s discography if you haven’t already. Their 1988 record Daydream Nation is a perfect album that’s a monumental moment for noise-rock, punk-rock, experimental-rock.
01:15 Cotton crown
05:45 Bull in the heather
08:48 In the mind of the Bourgeois reader
12:07 Pacific coast highway
24:24 Starfield road
32:02 Stereo sanctity
36:03 Self obsessed and sexxee
45:55 Drunken butterfly
50:00 Theresa’s sound-World
57:10 Sugar kane
Incredible Record Stores to Check Out in Buffalo, NYAugust 28, 2020
Henry Rollins - What's In My Bag? August 28, 2020
Most Viewed Posts
- Phoebe Bridgers & Lars Ulrich on Napster, Trent Reznor Screams | Musicians on Musicians November 24, 2020
- Anthony Fantano’s List of the 55 Best Rappers of All Time November 23, 2020
- Tom Green’s Cross Country Venture of Creating Ambient Music, Podcasting, Photography, and Videography in a Decked-Out Van with his Dog Charley November 22, 2020
- Julian Casablancas and Andrew Yang Talk Universal Income and Democratic Reforms November 21, 2020
- Live Music Recommendations #33 – Daniel Caesar: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert November 20, 2020